Bansagar Dam (बाणसागर बाँध ) is located in Devlond (देवलोंद ) village, Shahdol District (शहडोल जिला ), Madhya Pradesh. It is a multipurpose river valley project constructed on Sone River(सोन नदी ) serving irrigation, power generation, drinking water etc needs for Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
The dam has been named Bansagar in honor of renowned Sanskrit scholar Bana Bhatta (बाण भट्ट ) in 7th century who belonged to this area. The project originally started in 1956 by name ‘Dimba Project’ by Central Water Commission at a location which is 30 Kms away from the current site , but was later shifted to the current site in Devlond. The construction work originally started on 14th May,1978 after foundation stone was laid by the Late prime minister Morarji Desai and it finished in 2006. It was dedicated to the nation on 25th September, 2006 by Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee, former prime minister of India. The original approved cost was Rs 91.31 Crore but by the time it finished its estimated cost was over Rs 1200 Crores.
The benefits of bansagar Dam project
- Irrigation: Irrigation is one of the biggest benefits of this project. The project has helped irrigate 3 states namely Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar (water sharing in ratio 2,000,000 acre feet : 1,000,000 acre feet: 1,000,000 acre feet respectively). Total area being irrigated by the project is 2,490 km² in Madhya Pradesh(in the districts of Rewa, Sidhi, Satna and Shahdol), 1,500 km² in Uttar Pradesh(in the districts of Mirjapur and Allahabad) and 940 km² in Bihar. The project has also helped to increase the water table in the nearby areas like Rewa, Shahdol, Katni, Satna etc.
- Electricity/Power Genaration: Power generation is the other major benefit of the project. The project generates 425 MW of electricity in the state of Madhya Pradesh.
Location Details of Bansagar Dam:
- Dam site is located 0.5 km U/S of Devlond bridge across Sone river , 51 Kms away from Rewa City, on Rewa-Amarkantak highway.
- Left flank of the dam is located in Satna District & right flank in Shahdol district.
- Power House of the dam is located in Rewa & Shahdol districts.
- Lattitute: 24 11 30 , Longitude : 81 17 15
- Power House No I is 9.6 km D/S of Chachai falls on R/B of Tons river.
- Power House No II is 4.5 km from Rewa on R/B of Beehar river.
- Power House No III at the toe of masonry dam.
- Power House No IV at Head Regulator.
Physical Details of the Dam and Reservoir
- Dam height : 67 meter
- Dam length : 1020 metre
- Dam type : Masonry/Earthen
- Spillway capacity : 47742 m³/s
- Live storage : 5.41 km³
- Dead Storage : 0.96 km³
- Other Detailed features of the Dam
Click on the link above to read the charter.
Agreement of the Bansagar Dam project between Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar States in 1973.
Click on the link above to read the agreement.